Home free

I’m shocked to be posting this so soon but … I guess I’m back?

Health issues came to a head pretty quickly after my last post. I remained in bed in non-stop pain Sunday through Wednesday AM, and finally threw in the towel, called my GI and said I needed help. He had me come in immediately (not an easy task when moving or getting up is extremely painful) so Jeffrey helped me shower, dress, and pack a bag (We knew where this was going.) To nobody’s surprise, my GI sent me to the ER and by 1:30pm Wednesday, I was lying on a gurney in the ER, pumped full of morphine and in my own little pocket of heaven. (Aaahhh, morphine.)

I was sent for a CT scan, whereupon it was determined I was in a Crohn’s flare-up (my intestines were inflamed) which explains all the pain. I was admitted to the hospital for what turned into a two night stay during which I was pumped full of IV fluids, antibiotics, and steroids for two days and kept on a liquid diet of broth, jello, tea, and sherbet cups. (Which was like a feast for me after days of being to unable to even SIP something without experiencing cramping pain.)

Here was my Wednesday – Friday stay in my luxurious private hospital suite with a view.

Knowing I’d likely be admitted to the hospital and not allowed visitors, Jeffrey had the foresight to pack me a bedside buddy:

The bottom pick is after a day of fluids and steroids and being pain free for over 24 hours, for the first time since December 2020.

What made this whole thing shocking was that it was “just a flare up” of Crohn’s. No intestinal obstruction or twisted bowel, no surgical intervention needed, no new layer of disease or body breakdown. We had ourselves convinced I wasn’t coming back from this whole and unblemished, but we were wrong (thankfully.) Just a quick 2- night stay in a hospital with steroids and BAM! It was like the last 8-12 weeks just washed away and I was perfectly fine. So Friday morning they discharged me and sent me home with a simple prescription for Prednisone and a “stay well.” That NEVER happens to me. It’s always a long haul recovery and new dietary restrictions or discoveries that I have some new condition or chronic illness to contend with. Not this time – and I am so NOT complaining about that.

I am now safely, soundly, and happily home with hubby and hounds (and grateful to be) walking around like the last 2-3 months never happened and it was all just a bad dream.

My welcome home crew resting peacefully (and deservedly so) yesterday after a long and stressful ordeal:

I can’t believe this was all resolved so quickly but I am so beside myself with joy and relief that it was. So I guess my dark and doom-filled last post was a bit heavier handed than was necessary (although completely true at the time.) While it has been an awful, painful, almost unbearable two months…it is all over now and I’m feeling like my old, sassy self once again.

Now, if only I can keep the 45 lbs I lost from coming back, which won’t be easy, since I accidentally ordered 4 cases of pudding (96 pudding cups) , instead of 4 packs of pudding (8 cups) for my “road to recovery” (for which I need to remain on a low residue diet.)


On a side note, through the diligence of a good friend, just before everything hit critical mass, I secured my first vaccination shot (Pfizer) at SUNY Albany on Sunday, February 21st. Side-effects from the shot may have amped up my symptoms, but I don’t regret getting it one bit. Second shot scheduled for March 14th, 3 weeks to the day from my first shot.

It may just be a happy 50th birthday in May fir me this year after all.

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone.

Stay safe!


16 thoughts on “Home free

  1. YAYZ! ain’t modern medicine wonderful! bet the puppies missed you terribly. and your bedside friend was with you every step of the way. private rooms are wonderful; we have them at the hospital up the road from us. ummmmmm, pudding…


  2. Oh my gosh, I love the bedtime buddy! Said as the mom.of a married forty year old who I’m pretty sure still has a puffalump in her bed. Seriously I’m so glad this was a semi easy fix. If I was still in Denver I’d mail Colorado you some medicine.


  3. I am so happy you’re doing much better, and hopefully it will remain that way.

    Pudding and Jello are underrated snacks. I’ve now developed the habit of keeping at least a four-pack in the fridge at all times.


  4. Both the pain and the curative treatment you went through sound grisly, but thank goodness it’s over, and relatively quickly too. Relieved for you that it’s firmly in the past, thanks ever so much to J, to your hospital ‘companion’ – and, but of course, to your two little home ‘comforters’. Yet despite it all you’re still looking handsome as ever. But no more now, d’you hear?


  5. Oh my goodness…I haven’t been reading blogs for the last week or so and I missed that you were admitted to the hospital. I am so glad to read that you are home and are doing much better. And glad to hear that you’ve gotten your first shot. Stay well!


  6. You’re not the only one. Keyron was vomiting non-stop for 2 days. So I called 9-1-1 and they brought him to the Hospital. In for two days the diagnosis was Pancreatitis. Of course discharge paperwork said something else entirely. 2.5 days int he hospital an home again with prescriptions for antibiotics and anti-nausea meds.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s