Awakening

Thanks to a flurry of texts I received from coworkers yesterday, regarding issues at work, I woke up at 1:00am thinking about how to address the issues, and couldn’t get back to sleep.

To be fair, they actually made it 12 days without bothering me, but they just couldn’t give me my final day of respite before the onslaught of things that await me to address when I return.

For the record, I am one of 3 people with the same job, title, and salary, and I have 4 people above me, but somehow I have become the problem solver in my office and nothing was handled in my absence – by anybody.

Sigh.

My first day back to work (today) should be fun with so little sleep and so much waiting for me to address upon my return. Not a pleasant welcome back, that’s for sure.

8 years, 6 months, 2 days until retirement.

It can’t come soon enough.

8 Responses to Awakening

returning to work is a tedium; it will settle down

2. truthspew says:

If this cryptourrency performs like everyone thinks I’ll be retired in 2 years by age 55. That sounds really nice to me for some reason.

Color me jealous! I’m retiring at 55, but that’s 8.5 years away.

• truthspew says:

Yeah – I think 55 is a good age to retire. At that point I’ll have been working for near 40 years. So yeah – plus with all that is bubbling around right now I wouldn’t mind say $8 mil in an interest bearing account – that’d net out $200K per year.

3. renudepride says:

This is probably a minor consolation but at least you weren’t bombarded with issues when you walked through the door this morning. I hope your day was productive. Naked hugs!

4. Ravager619 says:

(((hugs))) I sometimes wonder if I should scale down to a part time job once I hit 55 myself.

I well recognise that situation, S/b, and it’s in no way pleasant.. I once overheard some more senior officers at my then work, thinking that I was out of earshot though I happened to be just beyond the door, saying “They say that if you want something done properly give it to someone who’s busy – that’s why we all get Ray to do it!” and then collectively laughing. (I was the only ‘Ray’) It should have been flattered but part of me was annoyed and exasperated at being so ‘used’. From what you say it sounds like your ‘colleagues'(!) have been depending on your return so they could have a cushier life, or at least one with a few problems less for them, the lazy so-and-sos!
    Let’s hope an unexpected windfall can eliminate your next 8.5 years of work or, rather, make them a be a period of healthy, work-free whoopees!

6. that sux. no one has any brains/common sense any more. hugs.