Date Night and Doggie Storms

It’s been a very busy week at work and I’ve come home pretty depleted every night. Even if I had anything to blog about, I’d have been too tired to do so.

Tonight, like most Thursdays, was date night for Jeffrey and me. Jeffrey drives me to work, picks me up, and we head out to run errands and have dinner. (No worries, Mom comes to sit with the dogs so they are not left alone all day and night.)

We started out at Earthworld, where I picked up my weekly haul. I’ve been culling my comic pull list, paring down to the titles I actually enjoy reading, and trying to reduce my monthly comic budget which had become entirely unreasonable, so this week was one of my lightest hauls, yet: Hal Jordan and the Green lantern Corps # 27, Doctor strange # 24 and Iceman #4.

It’s no secret I am a Green Lantern fan, so these books are a must. Hal Jordan is starring alongside the other Earth GLs, and the whole GL Corps, as they try to return the Corps to a successful, trusted, universal peacekeeping police force, after several wrong turns and losses that resulted in tarnished reputations and a short-lived truce with their sworn enemies, the Sinestro Corps.  After 41 years of reading GL adventures, I still haven’t tired of reading the ringslinger’s adventures and longing for a power ring of my own.

Doctor Strange is a new venture for me (he’s the Marvel Universe’s Sorcerer Supreme and Master of the Mystic Arts) and his book has been great fun, exploring the magical side (with all it’s risks) of the Marvel Universe.  I haven’t enjoyed it much the last couple issues, though, as the stories are forcibly tied into the MU-wide event “Secret Empire,” wherein reality has been altered and Captain America is now the leader of Hydra, a Nazi-ish analog in the MU.  You can imagine my distaste for such a story line, given the current regime spreading its [Racist, Misogynistic, Homophobic, Transphobic, Islamophobic, Xenophobic, Neo-Nazi, etc. etc.] views over the US.

Iceman follows the adventures of Bobby Drake, one of the original X-Men, as he navigates coming out as a gay man to his friends and family, which only adds to the persecution he receives for being a  mutant.  So far, it’s been an interesting story (and Iceman has always been one of my favorites.)

Anyhoo, I supplemented my comic purchases with this fun little bottle of Cologne I found in a “Spencers” store in a local mall. Not sure why it appealed to me, it just did *smirk*:

After a couple more stops, we tried out a new restaurant for dinner, as it advertised multiple gluten free meal choices on its website. Unfortunately, while it did have many gluten free options, it was a less than stellar experience, service, drink, and food-wise, and I doubt we will return any time soon.  Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge that they’ve named a hurricane after my adorable, harmless little boy, Harvey. I couldn’t understand how they could do such a thing, until I googled an image of it and saw why:

Now it all makes sense.

9 Responses to Date Night and Doggie Storms

Harvey the Pup isn’t nearly as dangerous as Hurricane Harvey. But Hurricane Pup Harvey is pretty cute.
    Does the Eau de Cologne smell good? I got Superman some cologne for Christmas the year I was pregnant with our first. It was called “Clint” so what was I supposed to do? Thing was, while pregnant I was sensitive to scents, and that one made me nauseous. I don’t think he ever wore it. Wonder what happened to it? That was 29 years ago!

2. NIFP says:

Sorry if this is a duplicate comment. My computer did something strange, and I’m not sure the 1st one went through. Here is the most important part:

I had no idea Iceman was now gay! He was always one of my favorite X-Men, as well. Any idea on when an omnibus collection might come out, title of such, or what issues it should contain in order to get his full story? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I am not aware of any planned Iceman omnibus, but the first issue dealing with his coming out is All-New X-Men # 40 (2012) (and continues in that series) Uncanny X-Men # 600 (2013) and the current Iceman Series (2017) Issues 1-4 (so far.) Just to give you a heads up – There are 2 icemen running around: a younger, time displaced Iceman, and the current MU E-616 Iceman (yes, they’re both gay.)

This all is the most sense I have read on line today.

4. truthspew says:

In this world it’s got to be hard to go completely gluten free. Pretty much everything adds it now.

Luckily I have a cast iron stomach. Can eat pretty much anything without any issues at all.

It’s actually pretty easy, of you know what to look for and steer clear of prepackaged and processed foods. Most fruits, vegetables, fish and meat are naturally gluten free, until they start adding preservatives, flavorings, etc. And almost anything can be made from scratch gluten free (which is always the safest way to go.) Eating out gets trickier, but we stick to restaurants with dedicated gluten free menus and dishes.

5. Ravager619 says:

Congrats on the comics haul. I’ve been pairing down my pull list and it seems like I’m only getting 2-3 comics a week most weeks now. It also looks like the comics I’m reading are the miniseries variety. At least it leaves me with plenty of budget space for all things Harley Quinn.

Harvey looks cute as a hurricane. I just hope whoever lives in its path is wise enough to get away from the coast and has already done so.

6. I have NO idea why you bought that cologne (wink)!

harvey the puppy is cute; harvey the hurricane seems to be turning deadly. I’d rather have the puppy.