3, 2, 1…

I saw this posted on the same day I had my “enough is enough” moment at work. I started in my current position on September 11, 2015. (Yeah, nice date, right? Maybe I should have taken it as a sign.) For nearly 3 years, I have worked with a peer (same position, title and salary but had been with this unit 17 years longer than me) who has continuously underperformed, missed deadlines, taken credit for others’ work, denied all culpability for their decisions or lack of success, impeded work for other people, lost or mishandled work, missed copious amounts of time, continuously handled personal business at work to such a degree they only “work” part time for all intents and purposes, etc. etc. After ample diplomatic conversations with them about their lack of organization and follow-through, requests that they do things differently, attempts to set up organization tools to help keep them organized, and offers to help, I have gotten nowhere. Last week I discovered work that belonged to me, that should have been handled sooner, on their desk, buried under piles of their own outdated, unorganized work (they asked me to assign work to their staff member in their absence, so I was looking for work on their desk, from their team, to assign to the staff member.) I took the work, and assigned old work to their staff that should have been done months ago.

I said nothing.

It took three days after they were back in the office, and an errant comment in a meeting about their work finally getting done, for them to even notice I had removed large piles of work from their desk. (Just more evidence of their lack of organization and unawareness of the work sitting on their desk.) They sent an email to me yesterday, questioning me about taking work from their desk. I explained in detail the work I took, the work I assigned, and why. Instead of responding “Thsnk You” or just “OK” they chose to respond with a snarky “I had no right” type comment.

The damn broke. I responded with years of pent up disgruntlement about their lack of organization, keeping my work at their desk, their lack of follow through, lack of following procedure, and providing specific examples of how their poor work habits have impeded my own.

I left the office before getting a response. I have no doubt I have a very unpleasant response waiting for me when I return today. I expected that. I knew when I took the work and then laid out all my concerns, that I was opening a can of worms, and this will no doubt get ugly and uncomfortable.

This person will deny and deflect and refuse to admit they are not pulling their weight or doing their job correctly. Instead of this being a wake up call that they are causing problems and friction in the office, and actually trying to discuss and fix it, they will retreat to their typical persecution complex that I am wrong, I am being unfair to them , they have inefficient staff, and more responsibilities than the rest of us (they don’t; in fact, the opposite is true) and that everyone hates them for no reason.

I don’t care. Enough is enough. I will no longer keep silent and ignore the poor work they are doing, just to keep peace. I may not be their supervisor, but I am their co-worker and what they do (or, more accurately don’t do) impacts our office and my work in a seriously negative way.
FYI: Despite their constant excuse of personal/family issues interfering with their ability to concentrate, do better work, or be in the office more, I have never once used my illness and regular bouts of pain and discomfort as an excuse to not show up for work or do my job correctly.

Let the battle begin.

10 Responses to 3, 2, 1…

1. I commiserate with you totally. I am lucky in the situation I am now, but I have worked with some real doozies in my career. They do absolutely nothing and you have to pick up the slack. Good for you standing up.

2. Ron says:

Sometimes you have to stick up for yourself. Good for you.

Oh that sucks big time. I’m interested to hear what happens next.

4. truthspew says:

Keep a log of all the issues. Seriously and it might not be a bad idea to surreptitiously record conversations with the co-worker. That way you have ample evidence to bring to the powers that be to get rid of the offending person.

5. Ravager619 says:

This is one reason why I work in the position I have now. It’s a very small, highly skilled group and no one can slack off. Well, let me backtrack. I can usually slack off during the last 20 minutes or so, but only because I do more work during the day than just about everyone else.

6. concolor44 says:

Oh! Oh, man! My fingers are shaking.
    I know that sorry excuse for a … yeah. I’ve had her as a co-worker … had to operate in a team beside him, picking up his slack for the sake of the project … in a department that depended on HIS input for MY evaluation … in a plant where EVERY department suffered from her officious LACK of any discernible qualification for the position.

DAMN. I’m truly sorry you have to go through this, and I hope like heck her/his supervisor has enough on the ball to realize the truth, and/or a bunch of other workers come forward with similar information. Sounds like she’s a drag on the whole establishment.

7. I work with 2 30-somethings that have their pacifiers (cell phones) glued to their hands. the phone ALWAYS comes first, not their work. it pisses me off.

I have said something to their supervisors, and have been told I am imagining things. yet these 2 are critical to our work flow and sales. so I shut my mouth and do my job. when the boss wonders why sales numbers are down, I always tell him to “go see the boys”. let him kick their ass!

We share a supervisor who had made it abundantly clear he has no interest in (or ability to, so it seems) to address personnel issues or poor performance. I am left with two choices: grin and bear it (which I’ve done for 3 years) or acknowledge what’s going on in the hopes that something will change (unlikely.) I’m just tired of being an enabler.

FYI: said coworker is also attached to their phone and constantly checks their phone and texts during meetings, training, and one on one discussions. Grrrrr.