Sleepless

One of the downsides of taking Prednisone is its disruption to sleep. Since I’ve been on it, I wake up between 1:00am and 3:00am every night, unable to get back to sleep, despite every effort to do so (deep breaths, counting slowly backwards from 100, clearing my mind of any thoughts, etc.) I wind up losing the battle and either lying in the dark thinking about problems at work or home that need addressing, or grabbing my phone and perusing blogs, Tumblr, and other sites to entertain me in silence. Sometimes, I just get out of bed altogether, but that tends to rouse the dogs (who sleep in bed with us) , which threatens to disrupt my husbands sleep, too. So I err on the side of caution and stay put, passing the time as quietly and motionless as possible. I’m sure if I had access to my files at work, I’d probably take advantage of this extra wake time to try to get ahead on a few things. It’s probably a blessing in disguise that I don’t. Mostly, I’m frustrated that I can’t either go back to sleep or make better use of this time.

On the plus side, I don’t currently struggle to wake up at 4:50am (my standard alarm time) to get ready for work.  It’s a flimsy silver lining, but it’ll have to do.

9 Responses to Sleepless

Prednisone is one nasty Rx; it wigs people out. No fun this.

I know the sleep problems. Very frustrating. Clint can fall asleep at bedtime in a minute, maybe five. I lie here for hours sometimes just waiting for sleep to overtake me. On the other hand, I can usually fall asleep pretty fast if I’m napping in the afternoon, but Clint can’t sleep in daylight.

I had a steroid shot in my shoulder last fall to address some pain issue I now forget the details of. No big deal, except when I went to bed. Could NOT go to sleep. At all. All night long and all the next day I was just AWAKE! Didn’t make the connection to the steroid shot until I talk to my physical therapist about it. And yep, that happens sometimes.

I hope you get some sleep soon. Sending love and sleepy thoughts! ❤ Java

3. truthspew says:

When I had the inner ear issues they put me on pretty high dose of prednisone to help tamp down inflammation in the ear. Didn’t notice any sleep disruptions with it. Probably because I had been taking low dose (2mg) of it for allergies since I was a kid.

I’m rarely inconvenienced by sleeplessness but when I am, I find it very frustrating, so I can only imagine having to deal with it on a regular basis. Sorry, friend.

5. I just commented on your previous post and poof, it just disappeared! I wrote that I hoped you’d find out soon what was wrong with your gastro system, and I also mentioned prednisone. I have asthma, and when I have a flare up, usually in the winter, my doctor puts me the stuff. I hate it and I hate the side effects, but it does help to control my asthma when I do have an episode. I suffer from insomnia myself, and I take a half dose of zzzquill every night. It helps because when I wake up in the middle of the night, I can usually get back to sleep. I hope you have luck in the sleep department. Lack of sleep makes for a long next day….

Sorry – comments are moderated, so I have to approve them before they appear. Had to do that due to trolls who leave nasty comments for me, time to time.

• No worries. I do the same thing. I just probably didn’t notice the “waiting to be moderated” notice. I had one really nasty person who commented years ago that really upset me, so I changed my settings. I don’t need to see that type of stuff on my blog.

6. Ravager619 says:

Oh, man. That sounds like the sleep problems I developed thanks to my former neighbors. Hang in there. Hopefully you don’t have to endure this for a full year like I did. I’d hate to see someone else go through what I did.