Reno-vexed

We are now entering week 6 of a “3-4 week”kitchen renovation. For the bulk of that time, we have been without use of our kitchen and our appliances, our garage (where some supplies and new appliances are kept,) our back porch, almost the entire back yard, half our driveway (where the dumpster is) and a good part of our sanity. Our days have been longer, as we have to drop the dogs off each morning, before work, at my mother’s, and pick them up again on the way home. Since we have no fridge, we’ve lived out of a cooler, so we have to get ice every other day, and eating at home has been a challenge, never mind eating even remotely healthy. We have been given a 4th deadline of “by the end of this week.” (After being told 3 weeks, then 4 weeks, then 5 more days). The guy who’s doing the work is here 6 days a week, so we’ve only had one day a week with the house to ourselves for the last month and a half. We thought the money we shelled out for the kitchen was hefty, but turns out the price we’ve paid for this renovation was much higher than we expected. My home is my sanctuary, and having that disrupted has really put me through an emotional ringer.  We also have several issues with our contractor, but we’re just biting our tongues and trying to grin and bear it until we get our house back.

Worth it? Absolutely not.

Regret it? Absolutely.

Will I ever do it again? Hell no!

Here’s hoping this is the last deadline we’re given for this project. I really don’t think I can handle another week of this.
Sigh…

10 Responses to Reno-vexed

Yikes! So sorry your sanctuary has been disturbed for so long.

Sorry you’re having such a bad time with the renovation. You say it isn’t worth it, but you aren’t in your beautiful new kitchen yet. Once it is all finished, you may rethink the regret. Of course that doesn’t diminish your complete frustration with the process. Hope it’s all finished soon!

3. Sorry to hear your going through what most people do with renovations. Hang in there. This too shall pass.

No possibility of putting the fridge in another room or the garage? Living without one certainly sounds like no fun. Maybe buy or rent a small fridge? Keeping fingers crossed that things get finished up soon.

If we had known how long we were going to be without a refrigerator, we would definitely have bought a small dorm refrigerator to get by. We were told that the refrigerator had to be purchase and delivered the first week they started work, because it would have to be placed immediately so they could instal the cabinets around it. We believed our contractor, so we arranged to have our old fridge moved to my moms (to replace hers), assuming ours was going to be installed within a day or two of when it arrived. Refrigerator has been sitting in our garage for four weeks now. And since our contractor never gave us any indication how far along they were, or how much long it would be, we didn’t know it would be twice as long without it – Sigh…

5. Ravager619 says:

Oh my. I was not expecting to see the renovations go like this. I’m sorry to hear it’s been this bad. At some point, I’m going to buy a condo. But when I do, I’ll make sure I still have an apartment to live out and have the renovations done before I move in.

I hope this Friday deadline sticks. This is awful.

6. Shoshanah says:

Oh that’s awful! Hang in there. It has to end sometime. I want new flooring, and I think I’ll just do it myself. It’ll take longer, but I won’t have to deal with anyone.

7. sluggy says:

From my experience you need to always double whatever time line a contractor gives you.
    Hang on, this too will end. 😉

Perhaps if we all didn’t just accept that this is how contractors do business, and were taken to task for it, and lost business because of it, it wouldn’t be a given that “that’s just what they do.” Call me crazy, but I think if you don’t mean what you say, and say what you mean, that makes you a liar, and liars are terrible people to do business with. Just my two cents.