Happy-less New Year

10027ccfb5a10f87a3580d407d39ea1bIt wasn’t the New Year’s Eve I had planned for.

Jim and Ken came with the dogs from Connecticut. We had reservations at a local restaurant, to be followed by noshing and cocktailing and playing games before watching the ball drop, bringing in the New Year at midnight with champagne.  However, instead of bringing in the New Year laughing, imbibing, eating and having a nice night with the guys, I spent the better part of the day in pain, nauseaus, and unable to eat or drink anything. It was a very unfortunate time to get an intestinal attack, as I’m prone to quoting, and all too often experiencing, life is what happens to you when you’re busy making other plans.

I’ve grown used to missing out and changing plans because of my illness, but no matter how disappointing and frustrating it is for me, it always feels ten times worse when I screw up other people’s plans, holidays and celebrations. Despite reassurances that everyone understood, it doesn’t change the fact that the evening was ruined, again, because of my health. I try not to let my disease rule my life, but its hard to take risks when its other people’s plans that are impacted, too.

Not a very auspicious start to what I was hoping would be a more healthy year ahead.

Happy New Year.

Sigh…

11 Responses to Happy-less New Year

1. Steven says:

So sorry to hear that you had to fall ill in advance of the holiday celebrations. Just know that there is plenty of celebrating ahead. The same thing happened to me Christmas Day at my parents’ house. Then my husband fell ill soon thereafter. And it had nothing to do with Mom’s cooking. Here’s to a happy and healthy New Year ahead!!

I’ve been dealing with this stuff for 15 years. I’ve mostly gotten good at accepting it, riding it out, and moving on, but sometimes, it still gets to me. Happy new year to you and hubby, and thanks for reading and commenting 🙂

Sorry to hear this. I can imagine how you feel, knowing that others’ plans were affected by your health. Here’s hoping that you’ve gotten that ‘out of the way’ and you’ll be healthy the rest of the new year!

3. Ron says:

What a bummer! I hope you get a chance to make it up at a later date. Happy New Year!

4. Doug says:

Ask your doctor about Entyvio. It has put my ulcerative colitis in complete remission for over a year.

It’s insanely expensive, but between my health insurance and the drug company’s payment assistance program I haven’t paid anything. I have my life back.

5. Sorry my dear. You know the drill though…pull up your boot straps and keep moving ahead. The better half went jogging after work and I to lead a meeting, we had dinner separately then he facebooked while I blogged as Anderson and Kathy chatted up the TV until the ball dropped (which is 9pm here). We gathered up the pups and snuggled into our bed, a wonderful night.

6. David says:

Wishing you better health in the coming year. People understand – this is part of your journey.

Oh – Groan! (Which I’m sure you did – many times.). Really sorry to hear this, S’b. Such an obnoxious way to have to see in the new. Maybe you might, rather, see it as a final kick from 2015 as it disappears into the sunset as you give it the finger.
    I do hope you can get over the current nastiness quickly and are able to put on the mood you’d hoped to have had when the ball dropped.
    Healing thoughts with you. May they work fast.

8. Here’s hoping that the attack passed quickly for you at least. And here’s to a better year for you as well. *hugs*

Ah well there will be other NYEs.

10. it’s OK, dear; we love you no matter what. make the rest of 2016 memorable!