Fall Guy

Happy First Day of Autumn!

autumn man

I’m no Lee Majors, but I am definitely a fall guy. One of the perks of living in the Northeast is getting to experience this season to the fullest. I love the cooler temps, the autumn colors, wearing sweaters and watching the dogs play in the leaves. I tend to avoid the explosion of pumpkin flavored things and I’m not looking forward to what comes next (cold, snow and ice) but I do love this transition from summer to winter, as it brings me a sense of calm for some reason. I even enjoy the sound of crunching leaves under my feet.

I have developed, in the last few years, a renewed (although still subdued by most standards) enthusiasm for all the upcoming holidays, so I look forward to the various celebrations and decorations to come.

Further, this year, we have lots of plans already in place through to New Years, so there’s also excitement and anticipation for lots to come over the next few weeks and months.

Oh, and all the kids are back in school so yay for that (although getting stuck behind school busses is the worst.)

So many reasons to love this time of year. Are you a fall person, too? If so, what makes this time of year special for you?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Fall Guy

1. I moved to San Diego many many years ago for a reason, it’s the land of perma-summer! Yay! Actually we do have seasons just subtle ones. I rather enjoy the sunlight this time of year.

I’m a summer person. I love wearing shorts and flip-flops, riding with the convertible roof open, and going to the beach. Fall means the death of summer so I dread fall. I keep wearing shorts until my legs get cold.

3. Tim says:

I absolutely love fall as well, Sean. It may be my favorite season. I could live without pumpkin but love the scents that go with it. Fall camping was always my favorite. Snuggling in to a sleeping bag with … Mmmmmm. A crackling fire to take off the morning chill. And fresh air.

OH but i miss proper autumn. For me it is one huge countdown to my favorite holiday Halloween.
    There are so many lovely things about the fall.

5. I’m a summer and spring person. Autumn brings with it for me depression knowing that winter is right around the corner.

And welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, ER. Autumn used to be a time that caused depression for me, and I definitely hit some lows during the bleakest of the winter months, but somewhere a few years back, I just developed this sense of renewal during autumn, the same one that people seem to experience during spring. It may be because there are just so many anniversaries for me in this time of year, my wedding anniversary, Jeffrey’s birthday, my work anniversary, (bringing me one year closer to retirement), I don’t know… I just somehow feel invigorated during the fall instead of dejected.

I continue to be amazed at how many reference to “everything pumpkin” that I’ve been seeing lately. From coffee to beer and beyond, that pumpkin crap is everywhere! Now, I love pumpkin, but I grow my own and eat them as a side dish, in pies and cakes, and as a stuffing for ravioli. Never in coffee. And never from a can. And, can I say, brussels sprouts with chestnuts and pancetta sounds divine!

7. voenixrising says:

While living in Denver, I used to DREAD the onset of autumn, heralding as it does, the onset of “Colorado may dump 10″ of snow on you at any given time for the next six months.” But being back in Phoenix now, I am looking forward to its arrivals. I’m ready to turn off the air conditioning!

I HATE New York Winters, but love the other 3 seasons….guess we can’t win ‘me all. FYI: I lived in Phoenix as a kid and my big brother lives there….hope to visit there some day – if I do, would love to meet and by you a beverage! 🙂

8. fall – leaf colors, sweaters/ponchos, better sleeping weather, cheaper utility bills (cause no air conditioner/heat on). pumpkin/sweet potato foods. wedding anniversary.

9. Brussels sprouts with chestnuts and pancetta. It’s one of the benefits of living with a chef. But honestly? Not Fall, Spring.
    Jean-Paul