Farewellings and Frenzies

Today was the service for my friend, Brian. It has been a long while since I have been at anything like this, and I was quite uncomfortable with the religious drapery about it but, out of respect for the memory of my friend and his family who invited us to this very private affair, I muddled through it. I only lost it once when his brother got up to speak, reminding us all that “if you are here, it is because Brian loved you. You made the cut. You were on his team.” I think he would have appreciated the sentiment, and loved watching me squirm through the prayers and bible readings. He had a peculiar sense of humor about such things, and he always liked to try to make me a little uncomfortable for his own amusement. Through the tears, I smiled at the thought of him having one last chuckle at my expense. Afterwards, we gathered at a nearby bar & grill, one if his usual haunts, and toasted him with beer, sharing stories of him with friends and family. A fitting farewell to a man so few of us were lucky enough to know well and share a bond with. I will definitely miss his presence in my life.

*****************
As you can see from the previous post, we’ve been in a bit of a re-decorating frenzy at Breen Acres. My hubby, Jeffrey, and I agreed, upon moving in a year ago, that we would make no major purchases and would make do with whatever we already had moved in with for one year. We ended our first year here this past March, so the restraints are off and all of the ideas and plans we’ve discussed (and all the wonderful suggestions my bf Jim has made) can start to be put into play. It will never cease to amaze me how a few simple changes can completely alter the look and feel of our home. I am in love with our new curtains and blinds and reconfiguration of our living room. But the interior design bug has bitten me hard, and it is all I can do to restrain myself from spending every dime we’ve managed to scrape together on every last item I’ve decided our home absolutely must have to improve it to my satisfaction and pleasure. Fortunately, Jeffrey’s cooler head has prevailed and forced me to pace myself.  Sigh…whatever happened to reckless abandon?

******
I am several days behind on all of your blogs, but I have chosen to wait until I can sit down and properly read and respond rather than just skim through. It’s been great to hear from so many of you and to have new followers as a result of the bloggerpalooza a couple weeks ago. I definitely feel reinvigorated as a blogger. On that note, I’m toying with the idea of bringing back Undie Monday. What say you all?

18 Responses to Farewellings and Frenzies

I can only imagine how difficult the service must have been, for several reasons, and am surprised you only ‘lost it’ once. Funerals are terribly hard for me, as they seem to make me re-live every loss in life at once. I admire your strength.

I remember discussing Undie Monday with you, and thought that perhaps the “issue” we talked about might be eliminated by turning off comments for Undie Monday posts. Can that be done???

2. Mitch says:

Been reading your blog for a while now, but this is my first comment. I have to come out of obscurity to enthusiastically say — bringing undie monday back is an incredibly great idea.

3. I’m glad you had a friend like Brian. And I’m more glad you were always yourself and, as a result, were able to show someone that we are just as human as everyone else.

And I’ll attempt to be a better Undie Monday participant if you bring it back. 😉

4. BosGuy Blog says:

Since there is nothing I can say to ease the loss of a loved one, I’ll defer to the easy question at the end of the post and say “thumbs up for undies”.

5. I too would be uncomfortable with the religious aspects of a memorial service, but I think brian’s bro was correct. cherish brian’s memory.

undie monday? FUCK YEAH! (wink wink nudge nudge)

thank dog for jeffrey; reckless abandon went the way of adulthood and no debt. reckless abandon after a few cosmos = WINNING!

I know one person who would be grateful for undie monday’s return – KELLY!

The Bad Idea Bears say < decorate the hell out of it !!

I like Harper’s Keeper’s reply to your Undie Monday idea.

My dad and step-mom were/are not religious at all. Step-mom was bitten by a religious hypocrite early in her adult life and swears off the mess, so a religious ceremony was always a no go for their funeral plans. Therefore we are hosting a “life celebration” party on April 21st. I say “we” as if I have anything to do with it. I’ll be there. I need some kind of final farewell ceremony, though, and am thinking of something I can do here with the kids to honor Daddy’s memory.

How do the dogs like the new living room arrangement? Have they noticed? Are they freaked?

8. Jay M. says:

The last 3 funerals I had to go to were my youth choir director’s, a cousin’s 24yo son, and my father…not a lot of fun at any of them, and no parties afterwards. Glad your friend had a proper sendoff, and the after party was fun! That’s the way to remember someone – all the fun times.
    Peace ❤
    Jay

9. Sorry again for your loss.

I am generally in favor of anything involving undies so I vote thumbs up!

10. Jay M. says:

I need to redecorate! First I must divest! Using a 20 cubic yard dumpster outside the front door!

And I think I’ll be speaking for ALL of US! Undie Mondays gotta ROCK! (And I don’t even know what the heck you’re talking about!)

Peace ❤
    Jay

11. RonRon says:

A very nice tribute to your friend Brian. Thank ou for sharing.

Ron