Happy Pride Month – Super Green With Gaiety

June is LGBTQ Pride month and, in honor of it, I’m starting my month of Gay Pride-related posts off by sharing the news that’s been simmering in the comic geek/gay comic geek/green lantern fan/gay green lantern fan universes and finally burst into the mainstream:

The original Alan Scott, Green Lantern, is Gay!

This is not the GL many of you may be familiar with. This was the original GL, created in the 1940’s, with a magical ring and battery.  He also happens to be my favorite GL, although I love ’em all.

See his origin here.

DC Comics, the company that owns and publishes stories using this character, recently rebooted their entire fictional super-hero universe. It is way too long and complicated to go into here…like trying to explain years of soap opera plots to a newbie… but suffice it to say that Alan Scott (the Green lantern mentioned above) was not gay prior to the reboot. In fact, he had 2 children, one of whom was gay: Todd Rice , also known as the superhero Obsidian.

In this newly rebooted Universe, we have discovered Alan is gay, has a boyfriend and thus far, can only assume he has no children (moreso given his age –  20 something – than merely the fact that he is gay, as we all know gay does not equal no children.)

What this means for the fate of Obsidian (and sister Jade) and whether they will exist at all, remains to be seen. What it means for me is that I am having a total “gay, Green Lantern, Alan Scott, comic geek” orgasm over this. Comics needs more LGBTQ characters and I’m thrilled Alan Scott is now one of them.

Woohoo!

P.S.  Anyone up for making me an Alan Scott Green Lantern Costume for Halloween this year?

6 Responses to Happy Pride Month – Super Green With Gaiety

what’s your chest, waist line, and inseam?
    Start with the last one.

Wow, that’s incredible! I could totally get into comic books now. Reminds me of that story line in QAF. I wonder which influenced which?

3. Will J says:

“What this means for the fate of Obsidian (and sister Jade) and whether they will exist at all, remains to be seen”

Drunken accidents happen. Or it could be an interesting plot line with sedation, sperm harvesting and…. well, you get the idea…

4. justajeepguy says:

Great! but I have 3 questions and FYI I never got into comics – I don’t know why.

Q 1 – Does the reboot start with him being out already?
    Q 2 – Who knows he’s GL? Is that what he wants to tell Sam? or is it a proposal?
    Q 3 – Would you want to be the BR or more of superhero? (no you can’t say you’d be the hero or sidekick)

The issue hasn’t been released yet, so I can’t accurately answer these questions, but I understand he does have a boyfriend. I don’t know who he’s out to about being GL or gay: he may not even have gotten his power ring yet so he may not be GL yet. It would be very hard for me to be the bf of a superhero and not the superhero.

5. anne marie in philly says:

when I read about this today, my first thought was “sean will be delighted”. my second thought was “GL comes outta da closet for pride month”!

did you also hear that JCPenney is going to have gay fathers in their father’s day ads this year? w00t w00t! and the pearl-clutchers scream for jeebus to save them from teh ebil! 😉