I switched from Blogger to WordPress a couple months ago but have yet to have or take the time to sit down and really (try) to customize it. I took a stab at it today with minimal success.
Honestly, I found Blogger to be more user-friendly and “dumbed down” for those of us a bit computer challenged. It was fairly simple to edit images, fonts and add things (like blogrolls) to my blog. I could customize, change and edit my blog fairly easily.
WordPress is more work. It is not as obvious to me how to do much of this stuff, even after spending a couple hours exploring the dashboard.
I have, however, managed to tweak it a bit:
- I added a little header image. (I may edit this soon; I just wanted a sample image to test it out.)
- I added a new page “More about me than you want or need to know…” to the right of the blog title.
- I changed my Blog Archives to a drop down box (“What came before”)
- My blog tags are in a cloud form now.
- I added a link to my Flicker account, although I was hoping it would display a few thumbnails. I must have done something wrong.
- I added my blogroll.
I am sure I did not do much of it the correct way; I just kind of jury-rigged it all to sort of look like what I wanted. I’d like to reduce the font size, overall, so you see more of the page when you open it, but that is beyond my ken.
All in all, I am happier with it now and I’m sure I’ll figure out more along the way to make it even more designed to my liking.
Best part of all of this:
I got a blog post out of it; because, dudes and dudettes, I am still running on empty!