>I believe in dog

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when… I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me… whenever… wherever – in case I need him. And I expect I will – as I always have. He is just my dog. ~Gene Hill
This entry was posted in Clyde. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to >I believe in dog

1. cb says:

>Every time I read that I cry a bit

>I do hope Clyde appreciates how lucky he is to have you. For me, dogs are especially unique animals in wearing ALL their emotions on the outside, something I wish we could all do. Never duplicitous, giving 100% trust, alert to signs of our own variable feelings of the moment and then putting themselves in tune with them – they truly are an awe-inspiring species. Few things upset me more than witnessing a dog being abused, even when only verbally – showing its vulnerability and fear in a cowering, submissive posture is just heart-breaking. Yes, dogs give so very much and ask for so little in return. Bless every one of them.

3. RG says:

>As much as a pain-in-ass my dog can be sometimes, I can't imagine not having her in my life. I just love her.

4. Jim says:

>Wow! That is beautifully written. I wish I didn't have allergies and could have a pet!

5. Ur-spo says:

>One of the best things (maybe the best?) was getting a dog. I never knew how wonderful it is to have a pooch. So I heartily con – curr !

6. Alan says:

>"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made." Roger Caras, past president ASPCA