>Cold comfort

Our first official winter snow has hit New York so, although I had the day off, I got up early to help Jeffrey and Josh shovel out the cars and the drive way. It was cold but the snow was dry so the shoveling wasn’t too horrible, although not how I want to start the morning of a day off, for sure. Here’s a shot from our side porch. You can see the area of the yard I shoveled for little Clyde, who is balked by the cold wet snow and will not go out to potty unless we clear a spot for him:

After the shoveling was done and the guys were off to work, I slipped back inside, put on coffee, stripped down and relaxed by the fire with my crochet project, warm and cozy. My mind started to wander to all the updates I will see on Facebook about the misery of the storm and snow and the hassles it presents and, for the most part I agree. I keep my friends and loved ones in mind who are traveling home or to work, wishing them all safe travel and shelter from the storm and snow. I know the snow presents risks and hazards.

But I also have to accept that I choose to live here and snow comes with being a North Eastern resident. The hassle of shoveling a few times a year is far less than the hassle of uprooting ourselves to start over again in warm climates, so it’s a choice I willingly make with consequences I accept.

With this in mind, I found myself grateful I could retreat from the cold snow outside into a dry, warm home. I thought about how beautiful the snow is when you aren’t stuck shoveling it or driving in it. I have stepped outside a few times this morning (properly covered, of course) to bask in the winter wonderland and remind myself that I can retreat from it any time back into the warmth and safety of Chez Breen. I allow myself to linger a bit and soak in the cold and chill and the white surroundings to help me better appreciate my luxury when I slip back inside to my coffee and fire and blankets.

I will be out in the snow tomorrow, driving to work and rejoining the rate race, but for now, I will sit here in my quiet, warm, comfortable solitude and enjoy the moment and be grateful for it.

This entry was posted in weather. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to >Cold comfort

1. Kyle says:

>Sean, I love living up here and winter wouldn't be right without all the snow. And of course we do have great temperate summers. Couldn't live without those either.

2. Cubby says:

>I don't envy you or anyone else caught in the big snowstorm, nor do I pity you. I've been dumped on plenty of times too. It comes with the territory.Your area as well as mine (the Great Lakes region), has some of the best summertime weather on earth, so suffering through a winter snowstorm or two is worth it.

3. Ur-spo says:

>I SO envy you your snow and fireplace. I have neither. I miss both. I used to love cold winter nights with fires glowing cocoa to drink – thinking deep winter thoughts all a cozy.Arizona provides none of this.

4. RG says:

>I had to go into work today – I was one of 40 out of a firm of 250! Didn't have to make coffee, but the Executive Director of Ops, paid for pizza for everyone for lunch.I took a three hour nap in my kitchen in the afternoon. LOL

5. Alan says:

>Is there some fun outdoor winter activity to do in your area? In my family, we pray for snow at Halloween and hope it lasts well into April. It's hard to fit all our recreational activities in: snowboarding, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, skating (on a lake), snowmobiling and (very rarely) ice-boating and winter camping…. winter is by far our favourite season.Sexy pic, by the way. RAWRR!!

6. anne marie says:

>my boss called a snow day today – YAYZ! free day with pay!figure we got 8" down here (I would KILL for 8" right now, heh heh heh).stay warm and toasty by the fire; I too have a fire going and my knitting project beside me.

>I don't envy you in your weather one bit, which we are hearing about in our news – but would very much like to be in your warm home with you right now. Well, in ANY weather, actually.